Sunday, November 20, 2011

The Queen of Probing Prompts

Readers who know me fairly well already know that I love quotes!  They also know that for several years now, I've been crafting the weekly writing prompts for Story Circle Network's Internet Chapter.  That means that for years, I've been on the search for inspiring quotes by women, for women... and then incorporating some writing prompts to coincide with the quotes. 

For the past ten weeks, I've been facilitating a co-ed writing group at church. With all of my years' experience with Story Circle Network, I am quite comfortable with the idea of helping others find ways to tell their own stories.  The real challenge came when I had to switch my focus from "for women" to "for co-ed groups."  I hoped that I'd be able to come up with prompts that were meaningful... prompts that would help writers begin to craft their own personal stories.  I knew what sorts of prompts work well for women.  But could I come up with prompts that would work just as well for men and women? 

The writing group at church has gone on hiatus for the holidays.  Its members have expressed the desire to keep writing and to come together again after the first of the year.  This pleases me to no end!

On our final session before the hiatus, one of the members gave me a new nickname - one that has me smiling every time I think of it... one that is definitely fitting... one that proves that I did my job and did it well since it was given to me by the man in the group!

 And so, dear readers, this and every subsequent blog post is being written by "The Queen of Probing Prompts."   Stay tuned for more blog posts - and perhaps more probing prompts in the days and weeks ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment