Monday, November 14, 2011

SPF-ing Each and Every Day

SPF !


When I was first diagnosed with malignant melanoma thirteen years ago, my sister Lisa began using SPF as her signature on her notes, cards and e-mails.  She was not referring to Sun Protection Factor for sunscreen as you might think....  She was telling me to Stay Properly Focused.  She was reminding me that everything in this life is the Lord's and focusing on Him no matter what is the way to face challenges big and small.

Through the years, that little reminder has been shared between us more times than I can count.  Sometimes I even remind myself to SPFStaying Properly Focused isn't always easy.  But, just like everything else, daily practice brings positive results.  It becomes easier to do so on a more regular basis.  Then, there are days that defy that logic and I find myself needing that small inner voice to whisper SPF over, and over, and over again.

Today was just that kind of day.  I don't know how many times I told myself to SPF but I know it was more than just a few!  There were challenges at work... There were family concerns far away... There were joys and there were heartaches.  But through it all, thanks to my sister, I was able to SPF!
Even on days when she and I don't have the opportunity to speak to one another her gift keeps on giving me just the right amount of encouragement to move forward no matter what life throws my way.

I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't practice the act of SPF! 

No comments:

Post a Comment