Thursday, April 28, 2011

Aftermath

Last night, while covering the tornado activity here in NE Tennessee, the meteorologists spouted off town after town  up the I-81 corridor... all in the line of the tornados.  It was as if I was watching the signs for each exit along the route that Caleb and I travel each time we go from here to his place or vice versa.

They kept saying that it would be highly unusual for the tornado to remain intact as it approached the mountains.... Well, highly unusual doesn't quite get it when discussing last night's weather activity!  The tornado debunked that myth - tornados can - and do - stay intact and do serious damage in the mountains.

Last night Caleb and I went to sleep to the sounds of hard driving rain and hail and the sights of flashes of lightening. This morning, the sun was shining and the birds were singing.  As I listened to the news, I realized that there were reports of devastation in communities along my route back to Caleb's house.  I worried about what awaited us on the drive.

I'd driven up interstate routes following hurricanes in Florida.  Passage on the highway was safe but the sights to the left and right were disturbing to say the least.  Would it be like that today?  

Much to my surprise, the entire way down the interstate was unemcumbered.  The bucolic scenes of llamas, sheep, cattle and horses grazing in pastures would lead one to believe that all was well in Greene County, TN.  But far from it... beyond those pastures and peaceful scenes, people have lost their lives, and those who survived have lost their homes and a lifetime of possessions. 

My heart breaks for those who have suffered the loss of loved ones to Mother Nature's wrath.  I find myself grateful for my own safety and heartbroken for what they've had to endure.  They say that this is the most active tornadic month in US history... and April is not even the traditional month for high activity... that's May!  One can only wonder if, perhaps, Mother Nature has worn herself out and will allow everyone to take a deep breath next month...... or if there is more of the same in store.......

No comments:

Post a Comment