Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Weather Watches and Warnings

UPDATE 10:41 p.m.: Tornado warning issued for portions of Northeast Tennessee, Southwest Virginia 
 April 27, 2011  - Times-News


Having lived along the Southern Gulf Coast of Florida for over 30 years, I am very familiar with the whole concept of weather watches and warnings.  Likewise, I have had plenty of practice keeping a cautious ear and eye tuned into the weather radio. 

For the first time since I left that area about six years ago, I've spent most of the evening doing just that here in NE Tennessee.  I just tried to listen to the weather forecasters giving updates as the large hail pounded on their rooftop - drowning out their audio feed.  That's a first for me!

Of course, in Florida it was for hurricanes that we were on alert; while here in Tennessee, it's tornado activity.  With the weather as fickle as it's been all over the nation of late it comes as no surprise to me that we are not necessarily in a tornado-prone area yet we are in the line warning/watch areas tonight.

I have a healthy respect for the potential for severe damage from nature's wrath but I also learned a long time ago that I needed to keep a level head while watching the events unfold.  That point is underscored by the fact that I have grandson Caleb here with me -- which means staying calm for his sake is of utmost importance.  He is the worry wort in our family -- even more so than his Nan!  (And I thought I took the prize on that front!)  So I have had my hands full reassuring him that we are in a safe location and that the storm will soon pass. 
Right in the upper northeast corner of TN at the VA state line
is the Tri-Cities area including Kingsport TN
map courtesy of Times-News online

I'd much rather be here with him than worrying about him if he were in his home which is one of the more at risk manufactured homes.

  And so, we are going to ride out the rest of the tornado activity in this area here in the safety of my home.... and tomorrow, we'll hopefully enjoy the sunshine that usually seems to follow such weather events!

No comments:

Post a Comment