Friday, February 25, 2011

An Artist's Date

In her acclaimed book The Artist's Way, Julia Cameron guides readers/writers through the process of realizing their creative strengths and improving upon their creative weaknesses.  One of the techniques suggested by Cameron is going on "An Artist's Date" -- going somewhere and doing something that nourishes your creative spirit, something that lifts your spirits, something that inspires you.

Well... taking myself on an artist's date is exactly what I've been doing these past two days off.  We've had large amounts of much-needed-rain the past two days.  But that didn't deter me!  Yesterday I went to a wonderful place called The Homestead.  It's a huge building which houses all sorts of wares -- an antique mall of sorts.  I could get lost in that place.  And get lost is basically what I went there to do!  For it is in browsing through the overwhelming number of items that I begin to hear my muse's voice. At first she whispers softly "Ohhhh !  Look at this!"  "I haven't seen one of these in forever!"  and so on...
By the time I am ready to leave, my muse is practically out of control.  She is filled with ideas for the many faceted creative life I enjoy leading... And, these ideas are not put to rest simply by leaving.   Today my muse has been nudging me this way and that - trying to get me to commit to at least one of the many ideas she has come up with ever since the visit to The Homestead.


Then, today there was lunch with a friend - someone who is creative and well-read - more talk of books and ideas for stories.  After lunch, I paid a visit to The Carriage House - a charming little shop filled with wonderful gift items (including Laurel Burch and Life Is Good products) but more importantly, filled with FIBER!   Knitting, Rug Hooking, Punch Embroidery, Crochet.... you name it... if you can use yarn or embroidery thread, this is the place to go!  Here I browsed for a good while before making my purchase.  So many choices so little time ..   New sock yarn project in hand I headed home. 

I've spent the rainy afternoon reading, napping, knitting, napping, cutting for the quilt project, napping, cooking, napping... did I mention that I successfully napped a couple of times today?  It's been a delightful day -- a creatively inspiring day -- an artist's date that began yesterday around noon and hasn't ended yet!

"Most of us have no idea of our real creative height. We are much more gifted than we know."                                      ~    Julia Cameron

No comments:

Post a Comment