Thursday, February 10, 2011

Heading Into The Final Lap

Some days, I feel as though I am running a marathon at work.  Or, as my Gramm used to say, sometimes it's  "The hurrier I go, the behinder I get."  Yesterday was a particularly grueling shift.  I kept getting "behinder and behinder."  The patients were so sick, the turn over from a discharge to a new admission was so rapid.  There just was no relief in site - or so it seemed.

As I wearily made my way to the time clock to swipe my badge and kiss the shift goodbye - three hours later than my shift's end - I wondered if I had it in me to even make it home.  I was physically, mentally and emotionally spent.  Too tired to post to the blog last night, Lee and Her Muse went straight to bed. 

But, this morning, it dawned on me that I was about to embark on my final lap so to speak...
I have just one more shift to work on the med/surg floor -- this coming Saturday -- and then I return to my heart's true calling:  oncology nursing.

Just realizing that fact made yesterday's difficult day worth it -- it brought me one day closer to being back in the oncology department -- at last!

1 comment: