Monday, February 7, 2011

What Did You Do When You Were Ten?

Gretchen Rubin of "The Happiness Project" recently posed this question on her blog - "What did you do to make yourself happy at age 10?"  Hmmmmmmm - now there's an interesting thought to ponder.  As I watched her YouTube video introducing this particular project, I learned that it is her belief that whatever we did as ten year olds may hold a key to what we can do as adults to bring happiness.  I've been thinking about this for a few days now. 

I've searched the back burners of my memory and have come up with a list of  "a few of my favorite things" at age 10:

  •  1.  read
  •  2. spend lots of time at the library
  •  3.  sew clothes for my dolls
  •  4.  write in my diary
  •  5.  sing in the choir
  •  6.  take long walks
  •  7.  help/watch Gramm cook and bake
  •  8.  help Gramm with her African Violets
  •  9.  arts and crafts, paint, color, draw
  • 10.  play house where my dolls were my babies

Then, I turned my attention to the things that are some of my favorite activities as an adult:

  •   1.  read
  •   2.  spend lots of time at the library
  •   3.  knit, quilt, sew items for my home
  •   4.  write, write, write - for Story Circle Network, for my journal, for my blog
  •   5.  listen to music
  •   6.  take long walks enjoying Mother Nature's gifts
  •   7.  cook, bake, collect and try new recipes
  •   8.  grow African Violets
  •   9.  mixed medium art work for soul collages and for altered books
  • 10.  spend time with my grandbabies

It is important to note that I did not set out to make a correlation between 10yrs of age and now- but look at what I listed!  Without much thought to what went into each list I have a mirror image of  the things I enjoyed then and the things I enjoy now. 

I wonder how many others would find the same to be true?  Do you have similar lists for age 10 and now?


To learn more about this phase of the Happiness Project, you can watch Rubin's YouTube presentation: What Did You Do When You Were Ten?  And while you are on the Happiness Projet site, check out the other information and links there.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm...interesting....I also love all of the things I loved at 10...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm curious to learn just how many people can say the same thing, Mary Anne! I have to admit that I was rather surprised when I did it!

    ReplyDelete