Saturday, February 26, 2011

Funny Ladies

I guess I really showed my age the other day at work.  I had three days in a row and a different assignment each day.  Not my favorite way to have things happen but, I cannot speak to the "why" of it all.  Just that that is what I was given as an assignment.  Usually, when I have the same assignment for the three days in a row, things go smoother on day 2 than they did on day 1... and very smooth on day 3 as compared to somewhat smoothly on day 2.  But on day 1, it generally takes me several hours to get a handle on the things that have been left over from previous shifts, the things that are in need of immediate attention, and the idiosyncracies of each patient and their family members.



Part way through day # 3, one of the girls asked if I was doing okay.  My reply was "Yes, but I feel like Carol Burnett at the end of her show where the little cartoon maid comes out and mops things up."  My co-worker looked at me with a blank stare and I knew immediately that she had absolutely no clue who Carol Burnett is.  When I called her on that, she readily admitted I was right - and I tried to tell her about this amazingly funny lady.  But, I guess you have to see her in action to know what I am talking about.

Because day # 3 ended up being such a bear of a day, I needed something to get me through to the end of my shift.  Not surprisingly, I chose my favorite funny ladies as that which I would use to help me make it through the day.  I mused about some of their sketches and characters.  And when I was feeling as if I was drowing in my "to dos" I simply envisioned me as that cartoon maid mopping up the cares of the day.

In my humble opinion, the three funniest women ever to have graced our homes via the t.v. set are
Lucille Ball, Carol Burnett and Gilda Radner.  Not only do they make me laugh every time I have the opportunity to see clips of one of their shows, they have left some wise words of wisdom.  When I ponder the fact that while they are able to make me laugh they are also capable of inspiring me, I am in awe of these incredibly strong women. 






Lucille Ball:  "I would rather regret the things I've done than the things that I have not."











Carol Burnett:  "Only I can do it myself.  No one can do it for me."











Gilda Radner:  "Life is about knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next."






How about you?  Who is your funny lady? What one scene in a movie or tv show has brought you to tears of laughter by the talents of once such woman? 

1 comment: