Wednesday, March 30, 2011

My Fantastic Work Day!

Today was absolutely fantastic!  I spent the day at the local oncology office - in their chemo infusion room.  I was there to get "checked off" on the chemotherapy competency checklist.  This is required by the hospital as part of the privilege of working on the oncology unit.  (And it truly is a privilege.)  Whether a nurse is seasoned or brand new to the world of oncology and chemotherapy, it is wise to make certain that he/she is operating under the best practice approach and is a safe practitioner.  So, it was with great pleasure that I went to the office today.



I had heard that it was "nice."  I had heard that it was "busy."  What I had not heard (because no one could have known) was that once there, I'd remember how wonderful my years working in an oncology office chemotherapy infusion center were... or how much I'd missed that environment. 


I had an absolutely delightful day, got checked off on many of the required competencies, and realized that even though it's been more than a few years since I've given chemo, I have retained a great deal of that skill and knowledge over the years.



I am looking forward to my second day at the office which will occur next Monday - April 4th.  I continue to be reminded on a daily basis that I made a very good decision when I chose to transfer to the oncology unit.    I am blessed to be able to do something I love!

1 comment:

  1. I have a young friend undergoing chemo--and I pray she has someone just like you to help her!!

    ReplyDelete