Friday, March 11, 2011

Quick, Easy & Nutritious...

I simply love beans!  Any and all beans!  I am not a vegetarian but I choose to eat more beans, rice, veggies and fruits than anything else.  And, for health reasons, I don't eat beef. 

Here's one of my favorite quick, easy and nutritous "throw-together" meals.  It can be used as a main course (as I use it) or as a side-dish.

The ingredients are readily available and inexpensive.  The prep time is next to none and the yummy factor is very high!



White Bean Casserole

3 cans white beans (I use great northerns but any white bean will do or mix it up and use a variety)
1 can of Rotel tomatoes (or other diced tomatoes with spices and green chiles)
1 package frozen chopped greens (I've used turnip greens, collards, spinach - they are all good!)
4 slices of cooked bacon; broken into small pieces (I use turkey bacon)
1 tsp ground black pepper

Drain the beans.  Drain half the liquid from the tomatoes.  Cook the chopped greens then drain and squeeze all the excess liquid out.  Mix all ingredients in a casserole dish.  Cover.  Place in 325 degree oven for 30-45 minutes or until heated through entirely. 

Like I said, it's quick, easy and nutritious!
ENJOY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment