Sunday, March 20, 2011

National Quilt Day

Due to a long shift and an uncooperative internet access, I wasn't able to post my Saturday Marach 19th blog entry.  But, since the internet is not giving me fits tonight, and since I had much of the post written - awaiting final details, I'm going to post it now while I still can. 


The month of March is National Craft Month -- and heaven only knows I have many crafts that I enjoy!  But, Saturday March 19th was National Quilt Day.  Quilting is just one of the many crafts in progress around here on any given day.

So, in recognition of National Quilt Day and National Craft Month, I thought I'd share my current quilting project with you.  This particular one is very near and dear to my heart because it combines several elements that I am passionate about:  quilting, Civil War, and women's stories.

I've never enrolled in any of the "Block of the Month" type projects before. I've always found fabrics I liked, followed a pattern in a book and proceeded from there.  But, late last year I found a project I just couldn't turn down:

The Civil War Chronicles BOM quilt features twelve blocks that tell the stories of twelve women who encountered their own struggles on the homefront while their husbands were away. Each pattern includes historical background and biographies about the generals' wives   ~  So now I ask you, what better way to combine so many of my passions than to spend the year crafting a quilt that tells the story of twelve Civil War generals' wives?

No comments:

Post a Comment