Sunday, January 2, 2011

A Backwards Glance at New Year's Day 2011

The new year has begun!  I spent the first hours of 2011 bemoaning the fact that the neighborhood was shooting off firecrackers while I was trying to catch a few z's before the 0530 alarm sounded.  But sleep was not on the agenda for my neighbors.  Hence it wasn't to be part of my agenda either.

And so, sleepless in Kingsport TN, I did not do any of the "traditional" things people do on New Year's Eve or New Year's Day.  No watching the ball drop in Time Square.  No noise makers or popping open the champagne.   No traditional "a year of good luck meal."  No Rose Bowl Parade or football games.  I did what I do on any other normal  day - I worked as a nurse on my med/surg unit at the local hospital. 

But, the patients were glad that I was there passing the holiday hours with them.  And, as usual, there was at least one patient who brought more to my day than I brought to theirs.  That's the way of a nurse, I've found.  You don't just "give good nursing care."  You share yourself with your patients -  And if you're lucky, they share themselves with you... and you are both blessed!
                                                 
This is the first of what I hope will be many, many posts this year.  I hope you'll join me - and my muse - as we search out the
      endless possibilities for making the most of each day.  Happy New Year to all !

2 comments:

  1. That is why patient love you , you give of yourself, and they know the difference!! Looking forward to getting back into home care .....orientation started today :)....If we could just take care of patients without documentation....that would be wonderful:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to the no documentation plan! Wouldn't that be "loverly" ?? Hope the orientation goes by quickly and you enjoy the days ahead!

    ReplyDelete