Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Concentrating on "Making the Most" Even When Depleted

Yesterday's post was not meant to be -- today's almost didn't make it here in time either!  When a twelve hour shift turns into a nearly 16 hour shift it just isn't conducive to any sort of meaningful writing.  And that is exactly what happened today!

But my muse and I are sitting here trying to unwind from the day's demands...contemplating the people and things that would allow us to be true to our vow to make the most of each day.  Sometimes the simple act of sitting quietly and going over the things that made me smile or laugh in the midst of huge stressors can be very therapeutic.

And so, what made the list today? 

The elderly patient who is as cute as can be (but also very pleasantly confused) who, when told she was "so cute," quipped back to me "I know!  I am cute aren't I?" Precious, just precious.

The looks on faces of our co-workers when Christy and I showed up to work in identical scrubs...Priceless!

The great collaborative efforts of our HMG docs and the A-5 staff on a day when there were far more patient emergencies than usual. 

Watching one of my patients accomplish her daily goal -- a goal she didn't believe she could reach.

The walk home in the snow when it is so quiet that I swear I could hear the snow flakes drifting by me.

The "decorations" in the front awning -- three and four inch icicles spaced almost perfectly even across the entire width -- glowing like Christmas bulbs as the porch light illuminated them.

The knowledge that today was the last of my shifts to work this week - and there is a long stretch of days off before going back.

And, perhaps best of all, being able to sit in a peaceful room and type this blog entry without interruptions, bells, alarms, phone and beeper interruptions that cause me to respond like Pavlov's dogs all through the day.

Good night everyone...

No comments:

Post a Comment