Saturday, January 8, 2011

Proud Mom

When my three girls were growing up, I always told my husband that it would be Tara who would be the one who stuck by me (not necessarily geographically but more emotionally) even when they were all grown with families of their own.  He begged to differ with me and thought it would be the youngest of the three.  I've never stopped feeling as though there was a very unique connection between Tara and me.  And last month she proved me correct.

Recently, Tara applied for and was accepted into an RN program in Kentucky.  I couldn't be more proud of her.  What I never realized - until she was in the application process - was the fact that being a nurse had been a long-time dream for her.
As I was growing up I never wanted to be anything but a nurse.  Even when my father was dead-set against it and urged me to become a teacher, I would not be swayed.  I've never regretted that decision.   But, I never dreamed that I was influencing Tara along the way.

As part of the application process Tara was asked to write an essay.  After she submitted it to the school, she shared it with me.  Tears - the kind that can only be cried by a proud mother - streamed down my cheeks as I read her words.  "I've always wanted to be an RN"   I know those feelings all too well.  But it wasn't until she was involved in the process of applying to the program that she shared them with me.

How could I not know?  I've asked myself.  But when I piece together the past many years I suppose that life in general put other things to discuss in the forefront.  Getting her into a private program to complete high school early so that she could accompany her new husband to Korea (as an Army wife) was the first of many transitions that consumed us.  But once she married, graduated and moved to Korea for the duration of his tour of duty there, we never once discussed her dreams and hopes for the future.

By the time they returned stateside, I was dealing with the first round of melanoma treatment and follow ups.  She was dealing with life as an Army wife living far from family.  Then came children - there are three now... and during that time, there were several relocations, meaning several job changes and several mandates to start over again with each move.

She is no longer an Army wife so she is not at the mercy of the Army's plans.  That afforded her the opportunity to receive a degree as a Medical Assistant.  Her first job as an MA was rewarding, enjoyable and allowed her to gain confidence in her ability to deal with patients, doctors, and medical conditions.  I loved to talk to her (she in Colorado and I in Tennessee) and hear her tell me how much she loved her job.  But even through all of that, she never once uttered her long hoped for dream of becoming an RN. 

But, it matters not that she kept that dream to herself until she was actually enrolled.  What matters is that she is about to embark on the fulfillment of her dream.  I know first hand how exciting that is.  I've been in those shoes.  And even though it was many, many years ago, I still remember that first day at school and the first shifts on the floor doing clinicals. 

She'll be a wonderful nurse.  Her sweet smile has always brightened my day.  It is sure to brighten those of her patients and coworkers.  Her kind, caring heart is open and authentic.  Her desire to be the best she can be is evident.  Her joy in the acceptance into the program is palpable.  Patients will be blessed to have her as a nurse one day.  I am blessed to have her in my life every single day.

I love you, Tara !

4 comments:

  1. Ah, Lee, all those years ago, your heart knew. And your life was a continual example and inspiration to her. Her heart was following yours. Why was it never articulated? Perhaps she feared it was a dream she'd not be able to accomplish. Now you can both rejoice and share in this decision. Fitting, perhaps, that you are both now studying at the same time. Mutual support and commiseration! Best to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Lee: This is just so wonderful! How much love between the two of you, and now you will have even more in common. This young nurse will be inheriting quite the legacy from her mom, and your heart can rest assured that when it comes time for you to slow down a little, there is someone else to carry the banner!
    Sometimes grown children can be such a heartache. So glad to see the joyful way this has turned out!
    Zaynab

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan - the thought never crossed my mind that she might have doubted her ability to realize her dream. You could be so very right! And I never really connected the dots with respect to both of us "back in school" at the same time... That's why I love sharing - someone else can see things that I don't necessarily see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zaynab
    Thanks for visiting my blog! I'm so glad that you and all of my friends (aka followers) do so! It really is some kind of wonderful, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete