Thursday, January 20, 2011

This Recipe's a Keeper!

Yesterday I blogged about Ms Muse's presence while I was preparing some homemade soup.  I've had a couple of my followers request more details on the soup.  And who can blame them?  The weather for most of us is perfect soup weather. 

This one's definitely a keeper!  It's comfort food for sure!  It is regularly requested by certain co-workers and since it is easy, inexpensive and so delicious I am only too happy to oblige!

CREAM of POTATO & HAM SOUP

3 & 1/2 cups peeled/diced potatoes
1/3 cup diced celery
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
3/4 cups diced cooked ham (You can use more or less to taste; I usually use a full cup)
3 & 1/4 cups water
2 TABLEspoons Chicken bullion granules
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
5 TABLEspoons butter
5 TABLEspoons all-purpose flour
2 cups milk (I use half & half instead of milk to make it even more creamy)

Place potatoes, celery, onion, ham and water in stock pot.
Bring to boil then cook on medium heat until potatoes are tender ( approx 10-15 minutes)

Stir in chicken granules, salt and pepper

Meanwhile, in a saucepan melt butter over medium-low heat
Slowly whisk flour with a fork and cook until thick (approx. 1 - 2 minutes)
SLOWLY stir in the milk making sure there are no lumps.
Continue stirring over medium-low heat until thickened (approx. 4 - 5 minutes)

Stir milk mixture into the stockpot
Cook until heated through.

I also add two hard boiled eggs finely chopped (whites & yolks) sometimes.
You can add shredded cheese or other vegetables if desired.

This hearty soup, when served with a salad and some crusty bread is the perfect comfort meal after a busy day at work!

And, here's an added bonus!  This soup freezes well and is just as tasty when thawed and heated - so I make a double batch.  I take half of it to work to share with my co-workers and I freeze the other batch for a future request. 

2 comments:

  1. This will be on my table this weekend. Love soup! Especially when it's cold outside. And, baby,for Houston, it's cold outside. It was last week too, and I posted another neat soup on my blog--http://trillap.blogspot.com/2011/01/local-cooking-city-style.html --store bought sweet potatoes work just as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm... this sounds way yummy. I love potatoes and soup is right up there at the top of my favorite foods list. Must try! Thanks, Lee.

    ReplyDelete