Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Putting Christmas Away

"Winter, a lingering season, is a time to gather golden moments, embark upon a sentimental journey, and enjoy every idle hour."    ~  John Boswell


Rarely can I claim that I have "idle hours" - there is always so much to do.... and even more that I'd like to be doing.  24 hours are just not enough for me to accomplish all those wonderful things that I enjoy doing.  But today I was given an unexpected day of "idle hours."

When the phone rang at 5 a.m. I was none too happy to be jostled out of sleep 30 minutes before my alarm was to sound.  But, the caller - who was far to chipper for that time of day - announced that I was being "put on call" and did not have to report to work this morning. 

"On call" simply means that the census and number of staff are such that they do not need everyone who was scheduled.  But, they don't want to just give you a day off because in the hospital environment, anything can (and usually does) happen.  Needs can change in a heartbeat - literally.  So, being on call means one can't really get too involved in anything that can't be put aside quickly.  At any moment, the phone could ring again and summon the on call person to duty.

Well... duty never called today!  Because I live two blocks from work and within walking distance of so many wonderful locations (library, church, shops, post office, walking trail, restaurants) I felt comfortable enough to go to the library and a couple shops.  Knowing that I could be home in a matter of minutes and into a uniform and on the floor in no more than 30 minutes at most, it was definitely worth venturing out for a while.

As the clock ticked off the hours, it became more and more apparent that my on call status was safe.  With that knowledge, I decided it was the perfect time to put Christmas away.  Taking the ornaments off the tree is always a bittersweet time for me.  In each little treasure there is a memory to be treasured. 

 As has been my habit for many holiday seasons now, I always purchase a new holiday CD at the beginning of the season.  My collection has grown over the years to many more Christmas CD's than I ever expected to own.  And, as is also my habit, for the last time until late November, I put those CD's on and listened to my favorite holiday music as I undecorated the tree and my apartment. 

With the last of the Christmas decorations safely packed away, my cozy little apartment looks rather barren.  But, I know that it is filled with all sorts of possibilities for the days ahead and many memories of the days past.

And now that the job of packing away Christmas is completed, I am off to spend the rest of my idle hours reading and knitting!

No comments:

Post a Comment