Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Can Someone Please Turn Off the White Stuff?


"Snow is so common that I have omitted to note its falling at least two days out of Three."

 ~ William Henry Ashley  




What a winter it's been so far!  No doubt I speak for many when I ask "Can someone please turn off the white stuff?"  I haven't heard too many people recently squealing with delight "Oh boy, another day of snow!"  The first snowfall of the season is always magical.  The second is perhaps a bit less magical but somehow still a welcome sight.  But, it seems that it's been snowing every day since Christmas and whether the snowfall amount is alot or a little, people are getting weary of it. Perhaps the only exceptions are those who are avid skiers and the business people who depend on those skiers.

I was okay with it -- even on a daily basis -- until it foiled my plans to travel north to visit family on a carefully planned week off.  My manager and I crafted a schedule where I would work my three twelves Sunday, Monday and Tuesday of this week and Thursday, Friday, Saturday of next week.  That would allow me to not have to use personal time, earn full pay, and have a nice length of time off to travel.  But, with snow being part of the daily forecast, all of that careful planning has been undermined.  It is just to risky to try to go to Pennsylvania or Kentucky and risk not being able to get back safely.  Here in Tennessee I heard one parent say that since December 12, the schools have been in session only 3 half days and 3 full days.  Even the school kids are tired of snow days!


National Weather Service Map as of Jan. 12  
 I read with interest a report out of the National Weather Service.  As of yesterday the NWS was reporting snow on the ground in 49 of the 50 states!  I don't recall ever hearing of that before so I did a little research. This year, Florida gets the prize for being the only state to not have snow.  70 % or more of the United States' ground surface is covered in snow.  On February 10, 2010 there was snow in every state except Hawaii and on January 19, 1977 all but South Carolina reported snow.

Even though the idea of traveling for a week has now been put to rest, my muse and I have already started to make the most of seven days off.  While there is snow, I am lucky enough to live in close proximity to the hospital.  That means the roads in my neighborhood are carefully cleared so that ambulances can travel safely.  So, I am not housebound.  Today, I went out for a bit of a drive to savor the peaceful pristine whiteness created by the overnight snowfall.  And, upon returning home, my muse whispered the beginnings of a new story...Making the most of today's snowy conditions... As for tomorrow... who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment