Sunday, January 2, 2011

The New Year's Good Luck Meal

Almost every culture has its own "good luck meal" for consumption on New Year's Day.  The facts and the theories behind them are quite fascinating. 


In Spain, people eat twelve grapes at the stroke of Midnight - one for each strike of the clock.


 Many countries choose cooked greens as part of the holiday's good luck meal.  There are some who believe that the cooked greens resemble folded money:  symbolic of economic fortune.  Now, I don't know about you, but I've never thought that cooked greens look like folded money!  And, in keeping with the theme of foods that resemble money some say that legumes and beans resemble coins...coins that expand when cooked. 


In the Southern USA, many choose black-eyed peas or cowpeas in a dish called hoppin' john.  The legend says that during the Civil War the residents of Vicksburg, Mississippi ran out of food... until they discovered a use for black-eyed-peas.


Pork is said to symbolize progress because a pig pushes forward and cannot look backwards. 


There are also warnings against eating certain foods lest the opposite of good luck is the outcome.  Chickens scratch  backward so they are thought to be symbolic of regret or dwelling in the past.  And some believe that one should never consume any winged fowl on New Years because they indicate good luck that can fly away!  Perhaps the most interesting "no-no" is lobster because a lobster moves backwards and therefore could cause a set back. 


I grew up in Pennsylvania Dutch country... with a grandmother of Pennsy-Dutch heritage.  That being said, the traditional New Year's Good Luck meal for me has always been -- and will always be -- Pork and Sauerkraut.  Served with good rye bread & homemade apple butter, applesauce and mashed potatoes dripping in sweet butter, pork and sauerkraut is one of those comfort foods that I have brought with me throughout the years. 

Having lived in other regions of the country, I have been privvy to the variety of good luck dinners folks serve on New Year's Day.  I've eaten one black-eyed-pea for every year old that I am... I've eaten fried cabbage.  I've done the collards, beans and cornbread thing.... but I always come back to the good old pork, sauerkraut and mashed potatoes.

I usually roast my pork and sauerkraut in a baking dish in the oven.  I place one onion, one apple and one sweet potato - each cut in wedges - on the bottom of the dish and perch the 2-4 pound boneless pork loin on top of the wedges.  Then I surround the roast with the sauerkraut from the recipe below.  Bake it at 350 covered until the internal temperature of the pork reaches 170-180 degrees.  (usually about 20-25 minutes per pound).  Allow the roast to rest for 10 minutes before cutting.

Sauerkraut, Pennsy Dutch Style
2 pounds sauerkraut
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
1 large sweet potato, cut in quarters
1 tart apple, such as Macintosh or Granny Smith, cored and cut in quarters
2 cups water (approximate)
1 cup dry white wine (optional)
Pepper to taste
If desired, place the sauerkraut in a colander and rinse with water to remove some of the salty brine. Drain and place in a large pot with remaining ingredients. The water should be about half-way up the sauerkraut. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer until tender, at least 60 minutes.
Notes: A little brown sugar may be added for additional sweetness. Some choose to add some of the drippings from the pork roast while the sauerkraut is cooking. An alternate method to cooking (my preferred method)  would be to place the sauerkraut surrounding the roast in the roasting pan and bake in the oven. Use less water to begin with and add as needed.

Because I worked New Year's Eve and Day, I wasn't able to prepare the usual meal.  So, today - January 2nd, 2011 I did so.  I wonder how much good luck the 24 hour delay cost me?  I'm going to go with the idea that I have just enough good luck to get me through the year anyway!  How about you?  Have you had your New Year's good luck dinner? 

4 comments:

  1. Kudos, Lee, for getting this up and running. There's a great feeling here of commitment and getting to know all the aspects of wonderful you. Warmest wishes with this new endeavor and hugs, Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lee, this sounds wonderful. We actually had roasted pork though not with sauerkraut. I definitely will try it this way next. Happy New Year, and congrats on getting the blog up & running. I'll look forward to reading it regularly. (hugs)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love sauerkraut for New Year's, Lee--and your photo is great! Looking forward to reading more of your blog and following you through your (really lucky) year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For almost 25 years now we have had pork and sauerkraut for New Years Eve, or day :)....Randy is from Pennsy Dutch background too :) Looking forward to reading your blog often!!!

    ReplyDelete